For anyone wanting to learn more about the topics of meditation, contemplative neuroscience, flow states, etc. I’ve put together some useful resources below. If you have any suggestions, questions or just want to say hi, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Enjoy!
Great books on meditation
I want a clear and detailed guide to meditation
- The Mind Illuminated by Culadasa (Amazon)
That’s cool, I’ve learnt a lot but how about some different approaches?
- With Each and Every Breath by Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu (Amazon / Free PDF)
- Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha by Daniel Ingram (Amazon / Free PDF)
- The Manual of Insight by Mahāsi Sayādaw (Amazon)
I want to understand ‘the path’ and the wider context
- The Science of Enlightenment by Shinzen Young (Amazon / The Audible lecture version is better)
- A Path with Heart by Jack Kornfield (Amazon)
- After the Ecstasy, the Laundry by Jack Kornfield (Amazon)
Just give me the science
- Altered Traits by Daniel Goldman and Richard Davidson (Amazon)
- Why Buddhism is True by Robert Wright (Amazon)
How about flow states?
- Stealing Fire by Steven Kotler and Jamie Wheal (Amazon)
Top meditation podcasts
- 10% Happier with Dan Harris – Dan Harris is a former war reporter who had a panic attack on live tv. He discovered meditation and now uses his great interviewing skills to explore whether there is anything more to meditation than 10% more happiness.
- Deconstructing Yourself – Probably my favourite meditation podcast at the moment. Michael Taft is good friends with great teachers like Shinzen Young, Culadasa, Daniel Ingram and Kenneth Folk. He really cuts down to the most fascinating points and isn’t afraid to ask exciting questions. Definitely the deep end.
- Buddhist Geeks – Vince Horn has been interviewing people on the cutting edge between buddhist practices and modern science and technology for over a decade. An amazing archive and he’s still going.
- Buddha at the Gas Pump – Rick Archer has been working for years to dispel the mysticism and misconceptions around Enlightenment by interviewing hundreds of spiritual teachers and ‘ordinary’ people who are far along the path of awakening.
- The Greater Good Podcast – The UC Berkeley Greater Good Science Centre interviews leading researchers and thinkers on the topics of human wellbeing, compassion and potential.
- Insights at the Edge – Tami Simon, found of Sounds True, interviews a range of inspirational thinkers in relation to their work and the future potential for humanity.